Interview to Kumiko Kakoi
Freelance 2D Animator
Layout and key animator Kumiko sensei is an experienced artist in both in-studio and freelance work. She has also been teaching animation at Tokyo Design Academy.
- Card Captor Sakura, 1998, Madhouse
- Pokemon, 1997, OLM
- Steins Gate 0, 2018, White Fox
- Donten ni Warau (Laughing Under the Clouds), 2014, Doga Kobo
- Fate/stay night, 2006, Studio Deen
- Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan), 2015, Liden Films and Sanzigen
- Mirai Shōnen Konan (Future Boy Conan), 1978, Nippon Animation
- Sangatsu no Lion (March Comes in Like a Lion), 2016, Shaft
- Shinkansen Henkei Robo Shinkalion, 2018, OLM
- Kimi Dake Ga Inai Machi, 2016, A-1 Pictures
Filmed in 2018
To find part 2-10 of this interview, keep scrolling.
You are a (key) animator. Could you tell me some anime you've worked on?
Animating a fight... When you animate a fight, do you need to do research?
About characters with many details and her favorite anime
Please tell me about your story in the animation industry
Did you enter to a manga club at University?
Ok, so then you entered at Sunrise. You did in-between animation and then got promoted to key animator?
Freelance animators work from home, right? Tell me about that.
Summarizing: You get a call. Sometimes you meet. Does it evolve into emails, or is it all with calls?
Do you watch the TV version of the anime you've worked on?
When you watch the full chapter of an anime you participated in, do you feel touched?
Is there an anime that was especially fun to draw? That you enjoyed?
Have you struggled working on anime?
What is something Kakoi Sensei learned about life while working in the anime industry?
What is something you look forward to?
Now we will talk about my animation graduation project Return the Favor. Since you were one of the tutor teachers.
Send me the next interview!
To prioritize the creation of animation and comics, we have no strict interview calendar. But is it likely something new will come!
Keep updated through our newsletter, which includes interview announcements, tutorials, comic panels, animation launches, and similar studio updates.